Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Going...and Leaving

For the past year or so I've been SO enamored with the idea of going to Africa, of embarking on a new adventure. Throughout the application process I would daydream about all of the exciting things I might get to do, see, and be a part of. The possibility of not getting to go made the idea of going even more desirable. I continued to walk through the application process, hoping that the door would not close. I clung to God, his Word, and the peace that comes with obedience. After turning everything in (on time!), I waited. I waited for that email that would invite me to an interview conference...and it came! Then I waited for a letter in the mail that would give me a job assignment...and it came! And then the enthralling idea of going turned into the reality of leaving.

Leaving is hard work. There are so many things that need to be done, responsibilities that need to be turned over, and preparations that need to be made. As a top-notch procrastinator, it's hard to realize that, "Oh, it turns out I'm NOT going to get to that later because I'll be living in AFRICA." And that's pretty much the easy part of leaving. The hardest part is, of course, leaving your people.

I leave for training in 11 days. And while I am still excited beyond words to GO, I am right smack in the middle of being pretty sad that I am about to LEAVE. I have had a fantastic few weeks of spending time with amazing friends and family and that time has been so valuable to me. I have been so encouraged by people's words, prayers, and support. I love talking with the people I love about my upcoming adventure. And I love knowing that no matter what I am leaving behind, God is with me and I will continue to chase after Him!

Currently singing (belting out in my car): From the Inside Out (Hillsong United)

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring You praise
From the inside out Lord, my soul cries out

3 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, I am going to miss you so much, but I am also so excited for you and for how our Lord is going to use you. You are always in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle - I can't even type this with out crying! I am going to miss you so so much! We are going to be praying for you like crazy! I am excited that we will be able to keep up with your adventures this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - Wow, what a super exciting time for you and too for we folks who have known you and love you! I still remember your faithful service as an extraordinary office angel and leader in the college ministry. Haven't forgotten you in Aggieland! I'm thinking God must be pleased with your consistent obedience to Him!

    ReplyDelete