Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Mouse in the House

One night, there were 5 girls staying in our house because our supervisor and another girl brought Abby up to G-Vegas. The first 2 nights after they got to G-Vegas, our supervisor, Sarah, and I had gone to Yosemite to spend 2 nights there. So it was just Abby and the other girl sleeping in our house in G-Vegas. Well, in the middle of the night, one of the girls woke up when she felt something running across her. She grabbed her flashlight and saw that it was…as you probably guessed from the title of this post…a mouse.

The next night, after we returned from Yosemite, we were all hanging out and I walked into Sarah’s room and saw a tail disappearing over a suitcase that was sitting on the floor in the corner. And then I saw 2 mice run under Sarah’s bed. I, of course, shrieked a little then went and told the girls. We came back in and the mice ran to another corner behind Sarah’s armoire. Those mice are sneaky and quick little boogers though, and they can squeeze through almost any opening. So we corralled them into the corner (behind the armoire) to make sure they couldn’t get out. We set a bucket up so that when we scared them out of the corner into the corral, we could trap them in the bucket and throw them outside.

Well, again, mice are sneaky and quick and they escaped from us into a different corner a couple of times. But we got them back into the armoire corner…until one of them made its grand escape out of the room. So we were down to one mouse…and we knew where he was…it was just a matter of catching him. I took the bucket to see if I could trap him when he ran out. One of the other girls started poking the broom back in the corner to scare him out…and when he came running out I got him!!! Well…mostly. I didn’t get him all the way in the bucket, but I had his tail and one of his back legs pinned. At this point, we were at a loss because lifting up on the bucket would release him and none of us wanted to grab him with our hands. Then my supervisor came in, took one look at what was going on, ripped off her flip-flop, and proceeded to literally beat the mouse to death while I held him down.

Traumatizing as it was, I’m not really scared of the mice anymore! We still have some so we went down to the market and bought some traps because the whole process of hunting, corralling, trapping, and killing the mouse took a LOT of effort…and about 2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. This is hard for me to imagine you doing, so I know God is in control here. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling you were laughing while this is all going on. I've certainly had a good laugh while reading it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I probably would have thrown up!! Isn't it amazing that some things that are just part of life to some people would have other people (me) in such a tizzy! I'm glad you're conquering some fears ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...I can't even imagine you doing this. I mean you did sacrifice me to the bug (butterfly), right?

    It was so good to read all your posts. I think about you and pray for you everyday. Glad you are having a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nita...the thing that there is the MOST of...is LIZARDS! There are so many of them everywhere that you almost don't even notice them. You and my mom would hate it :)

    ReplyDelete