Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's Always Sunny in Mali

In February we had the opportunity to travel to another area of the country for a Sunny festival. We left on Valentine's Day for an 8ish hour drive...a good part of it being on a pretty bad road. So we packed up our freshly baked heart-shaped sugar cookies and newly created all-love-song playlist and loaded up in the truck. I was getting over strep at the time, but that didn't stop us from singing so loud to our awesome playlist that we were all pretty hoarse by the time we arrived.

The first day was a parade at the soccer stadium. Seating in the shade was limited so we all split up. I sat next to this little old man. There were hunters in the para
de and every so often they would shoot off a gun for no real reason at all. Every single time I would jump halfway out of my seat and the little old man would laugh and say, "Hahaha...you're scared!!!" Every. Time. He also thought I spoke French (since I'm white) so he kept translating the Sunny speeches into French for me. I didn't correct him, I kind of liked the attention.

We got to meet a TON of Sunny people from several different countries so we learned a little bit about other dialects. It was pretty cool. We also got to meet some different people who work with other organizations. Some of them are even not from America, so we got to brush up on our British accents. Always a good time.

Here's a couple of pics from the parade:



No comments:

Post a Comment