Monday, December 12, 2011

What a slacker!/Why We Do What We Do

First of all...holy moley...I have been such a slacker and I know it!  I have a (fairly) good reason, though.  Our internet was completely turned off for a few weeks and we had to switch.  Our current internet is sketchy at best and we get charged by how much we use it...so...here we are.  But I'm going to do my best to play catch-up a little bit.  Thank you for your patience/understanding/willingness to keep up with me even when I drop the ball!

A while back, I had the opportunity to go meet a team in Kenya.  Two members of the team were from my church.  I seriously cannot even begin to express how wonderful it was to see Brett (my pastor/former boss/friend) and Patti (my friend/prayer partner)!  They encouraged me, prayed for me, asked me lots of questions, and listened to me talk incessantly.  And it came at the perfect time...I needed a shot in the arm to come back home and sprint out these last few months of my term before it's time to head back to America.

While in Kenya, we went to distribute food to some villages out in the bush.  We were able to participate in their indigenous worship services...always an incredible experience.   As I sat there (and then stood there, and then "danced" there), I just got really overwhelmed with one question:  When will it be the Sunny people's turn to worship Jesus?  We know one Sunny believer, so we've never experienced a worship service where the music, prayer, and message were in Sunny.  When we're with Nick (the one believer), he will pray in Sunny and it always moves me to tears.  Anyway, as I sat there, I started struggling with feelings of jealousy that we (most likely) will never get to experience that.  And then I was reminded that people have been working with this particular people group in Kenya for decades and they are just now seeing the fruit of their work.  And it had to start somewhere.  Back at Easter, I had a similar experience in Mali where a village had a handful of believers that had sprung up after the people had listened to a Story Set (like the one we're working on).  So....allllll that to say...it is always good to be reminded of why we do what we do.  

1 comment:

  1. I pray that before you leave that you will catch a glimpse of what Sunny worship will be like. I pray boldly that God will let you see what He already sees coming in the future. I pray that it will be the most amazing site. Love you and finish strong!

    ReplyDelete