Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Training: Week 1

Well, I've been in Virginia for a full week and so far it has been pretty incredible...complete with about 17 inches of snow! I have learned countless new things every day, but the highlight of my week was a "personal spiritual retreat." On Friday, they scheduled 3 hours (!) for us to just be quiet and spend time with God. We could go anywhere on campus and do whatever we wanted to do in order to accomplish that quality time. I went to my room, turned on iTunes, got my Bible, a commentary, a notebook, and a pen and just started pouring my heart out. I think the key part of this time...for me, anyway...is that with 3 hours, you really have time to listen. And God had lots to say. Pretty cool.

Also...and if you know me well, you think this is funny...I'm on the Library Team. I barely even know how to use a library. Emsy-Pants and I decided that they must have heard about the sizable donation I made to the library at seminary in the form of overdue fees. The duties are: reshelving books (I get to work in the kids' libary...score!), setting up weekly book displays for whatever the theme is that week, and distributing free books from awesome speakers (free books are always fantastic). All in all it's a pretty sweet gig.
There is so, so, SO much to do and learn (including a whole, new, crazy language), but I am beyond excited for what the next 7 weeks hold. I am growing more and more eager by the minute to get to Africa and start putting some of these things into practice, but I know my time here will be of more value than I probably even realize.
And now for some pictures:




My quad. There are 4 apartments. I share an apartment with another girl, and the quad with a young couple and their 2 little girls, and another couple.



My bedroom

Saturday morning snow from the safety of my kitchen.

After lunch photo shoot.



More photo shoot.



5 comments:

  1. Michelle! So glad you are loving your time in Virginia! Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am jealous of that snow! I have never seen snow like that! It makes me want to go to Pizza Inn and then come back and play games. Ok, fine, that has nothing to do with the snow! Miss you monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear everything is going good! So glad you have this blog so we can keep up with you. Miss you (even thought I haven't seen you in forever). Remember to get with me about a date. You just tell me and we'll make time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hard core creeped to find this. I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle!!! I just saw that you are in Mali-- 1- that is amazing, 2- I will be praying, 3- my brother/sister in law are in PERU with the IMB and we went to visit them last Spring Break while they were at in VA. It is neat to see you in pictures that they have as well. :) We are going to see them in July and now we have another IMBer to think about while we prepare. GOD BLESS and let me know specifics to pray for you!--- Haley

    ReplyDelete