Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Nighttime, My iPod, and Staff Lunch

At first, I really struggled with nighttime. Turns out it’s pretty difficult to fall asleep when you’re completely soaked with sweat…pretty gross, I know. But NOW I actually really like the nights. During times I can’t sleep, I take advantage of it and read my Bible or pray. I’ve also been listening to my iPod that Bear Creek gave me all the way through the night…and a lot of times it’s the only reason I can fall asleep with all the donkey noises, critters trying to get in my tent, and calls to prayer.

AND my iPod has videos on it, so that keeps me entertained during the wee village hours also. During my plane rides over here I watched the video Bear Creek made for me with families offering words of encouragement and support. It was amazing and just what I needed for the journey over! I skipped over one lengthy part in the middle, though, because I was having a hard time hearing it over the engine noise. One sleepless night, I remembered that I still had it to watch. It was a Bear Creek staff lunch…

One day while I was in Virginia, they set the video camera up in my usual spot at the table and went about a normal lunch…even asking me questions every now and then. (I know…it’s really sweet how much they miss me.) Anyway, it was so nice to get away from my sweaty tent and feel normal for a little while. Those guys are like my brothers and not getting to work with them anymore is one of the hardest parts of being in Africa. Even though it was just a normal lunch…they even managed to somehow pick on me…it reminded me of how they have walked with me through this entire process and of how many lunches we have sat in that very kitchen and talked about this very moment. Oddly enough, that staff lunch was just what I needed that night and God used it to comfort me and remind me that He called me to this and He is here, equipping me. Then I played some Bejeweled Blitz.

No comments:

Post a Comment