Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nice Grill

What do girls from Texas do when they move to Africa and every meal has to be made from scratch? Build a grill. I’m serious; I’m going to build a grill for our yard. I’m not really sure exactly how I’ll do it (suggestions are welcomed), but I’ve already purchased some parts. We’ve been in the capital all week for training and since there are grocery stores in the capital, we always go stock up when we’re there. Well I’ve been talking a big talk about my little building project so I decided to do a little perusing while we were at the store to see what kind of materials might come together to result in a nice little charcoal grill.

I found the perfect thing! It’s a metal grid and the tag even says “grill” on it. Actually there are 2 grid pieces and they have handles on them. I think you’re supposed to put your food between them and then hold the whole contraption over a fire. Each piece is probably 16”x18” so I’ve got the makings of a pretty nice grill. Between the grill I build and the kiddie pool Abby & Sarah set up last week we should be having a sweet Fourth of July party.

And for realsies…suggestions for building this thing are welcomed. Rocks and sand are the most immediately available resources, but I can hunt some stuff down if you’ve got ideas.

4 comments:

  1. so. proud. buckaroo.
    i will put together some drawings and get them to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about making it like a fire pit? Like a well, but with a charcoal bottom and a grill plate top. Does that make sense?! Probably not! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7007687.html

    http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1482124334061439762jICfwd

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fire pit is a good idea. it serves as a base for the grill, blocks wind, and traps heat for charcoal sustenance. And I think your two grates probably fit together to make up to a 30" by 16" grilling plane. Do they both have an open end?
    Bases for your charcoal could be aluminum foil, ceramic, loose gravel and rock...

    ReplyDelete