Sunday, July 4, 2010

Three things you should know about me:

1) I love a good injury, BUT
2) I'm terrified of something bad happening to my teeth...especially while I'm here, and
3) This whole "sleeping in a tent" thing is totally new to me.


A couple of weeks ago when we were out in the village it got pretty windy one night. I was laying in my tent, enjoying the breeze and trying to fall asleep when a huge gust of wind came through. It lifted my tent up and started to blow over so I reached my hand up and hit the side to push it back down. That's when my 6 lb. Maglight came plummeting from the gear loft 3 feet above my head and nailed me in the mouth.

I sat up and held my hands up to my mouth and they immediately pooled with blood. It hit me so hard that everything was kind of numb. I really thought my front left tooth had been knocked out! I was looking for it because I couldn't tell if it was still in there or not. It was crazy! Sarah climbed in my tent, looked at my face, assured me that my tooth was still there, and got me some toilet paper for all the blood. It was our first night out for the week so some of our water bottles were still frozen and she made me hold one to my face. My upper lip immediately looked like I had put a marble inside it. And the inside was gushing blood.

We took these pictures the next day. My gum ended up turning black and a chunk of it came off...which renewed the fear of my tooth falling out...it never did. And for the next day or two my top lip got so big it was hard to talk and eat...but pretty funny to look at.

And I don't put my flashlight in the gear loft anymore.






I have (finally) posted some other pictures on Facebook. They load much quicker on there than here, but we still don't have good enough internet in the desert to post pics from there. Thanks for keeping up with my adventures and praying for me!

11 comments:

  1. OUCH!!! I'm glad you had some sort of ice to put on it!!! That gave me shivers!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - what an experience! Just when you get used to this lifestyle it will be time to come "home"!!! And I can't wait but I know you're loving it so therefore I'm loving it too - for you!

    Love your picture and love that beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH! A) I totally get that fear. B) AAHHHH!!! I'm glad you still have all of your chompers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like it really hurt-for several days. And your front tooth of all things. You got to watch those Maglites. Love you-MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy wants to know if your nose was swollen, too. :) Oh friend. Glad your tooth is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...that made me want to cry! Don't you ever wonder why we can't learn a lesson without any pain? Glad you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang girl!! That looks painful!! I'm glad you still have your tooth. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Miss Michelle, Ashlea & Jacob want to know how you are now? That looked like it really hurt! They hope you feel better now. Your stories reminded Jacob that he wanted to go to the zoo! We colored pictures for you this morning before church & will miss you at VBS kickoff this evening. Much love, the Mc's

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Michelle!
    I was finally able to get on this site (a few days ago), and today I found this page! I'm so excited! My message may or may not get to you...you know I sometimes have trouble making my computer do what I plan for it to do?
    Anyway, I have now read all of your blogs...love 'em! The LORD is doing mighty things in and through and for you!!! I love your stories, and what HE shows you, or has you read right after an "incident"! That is so cool!
    Miss you and love you!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, I told you that sometimes my computer surprises me...
    I didn't know that I had been successful in getting my picture on my profile...and there it is!
    Still love you...

    ReplyDelete