Wednesday, April 28, 2010

White Girl Parade

One of the most convenient things about being the only white people in town is that you can never get lost. We were in the village the other day and I had gone to meet with Jenny for a language lesson while the girls went to greet another family. When I finished my lesson, the girls were not back at our hut or in our compound, so I started walking…we live in a pretty big village. I greeted people as I passed by and they greeted me back and then started pointing. I realized that they knew I was looking for my friends. Where else can you wander around and people know exactly who you’re looking for and where they are? AND without speaking the same language? The village is pretty amazing that way. Well, it turns out the girls were wound way back through several compounds and pathways, but every time I passed by somebody they would greet me and point until finally I found them.

And, ANYtime we go ANYwhere, it never fails that a band of children will surround us and follow us. I mean seriously, like 15 kids following us around. And they all want to shake or slap your hand and carry your water bottle. In my head I call it the White Girl Parade.

Also, I like that everybody knows your name. It’s like Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. This just made my morning... I hope all is going well for you. Lifting you up while I'm here in Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a story about being white!! And it actually happened here in BKO where there's a few more of us white folks...Sherry (a volunteer that was here) was walking to our house. She didn't know where we lived only the general direction, so she started walking that way. Now at this time I was probably 7 or 8 months pregnant. Sherry didn't speak Bambara or French, however, she did know the french word for white person...toubabou. So she went up to people saying, "toubabou" and taking her hands in front of her and making a pregnant belly motion, the people knew who she was talking about and lead her straight to our house!! Gotta love being white in Africa!! =)

    ReplyDelete